Sunday, December 13, 2020

Coco


Alzheimer's Lament


It was over a century ago that I first fell in love with you

At least I thought it was love now I can’t be to sure 

Perhaps I’ve been in a coma dreaming of the last face I saw

The once warm and blissful memories fade into nitrogen gas darkness

How did I get here 

How long has it truly been

My reality is turned upside down 

Are these memories or fantasies of wishful thinking

Do I dream with eyes wide open through a rose tint filter


I used to pray back then that I could live long enough to share a life with you

Write chapters of our story as you sipped your tea reading a book 

I saw us there in the future destiny gave me a postcard picture to hold onto

Now I shake my head in disbelief 

This can’t be you

This can’t be us 

Cobb webbed memories 

Dust settled dreams 

Where did the warmth of love disappear 


It has been a decade since I can recall that feeling 

My hair has begun to turn white while I sit here waiting 

Waiting to wake up from this nightmare

Waiting to return to the paradise within your arms 

A time when I felt adored 

When leaving each other for even 5 minutes felt like 5 years 


I’m tormented by our past

Angry, lost, and bitter as I sit here this is certainly no present 

Can there even be a future 

Is it still there waiting patiently in the waiting room 

What does our chart say about our recovery

Do the odds favor a new beginning 

Will I continue to wear this grief eternally


The black widows poison courses through my veins

Like a live wire of electricity 

Lashing in the street it sparks threats towards my heart 

That it be crueler to await my dark fate 

Hope turns the corner 

Happiness trails close behind 


I am entangled in this dreary state of wonderment 

Cocooning myself in misery 

I tell myself that I will arise a new 

Deep within I feel this is my tomb 

My mummified love for you 

It may have died long ago  

I just keep lamenting 

Praying it isn’t so 

Arms thrown over the casket 

Unwilling to let Hades have his prize

Alzheimer’s keeps me living a love that would never die   




Admittance Log

You would think 
that all hospital rooms 
would be the same

I’ve been in my 
fair share to tell you 
no two are alike 

While the instruments 
click, clank, beep, and bop 
a familiar tune 

Each of the mechanisms 
throughout time are 
all quite different nowadays

Squeezing the blub of an 
arm cuff is now grumblings 
of traveling air compressed 

The once clever remote control 
to operate bed comfort 
is directly built into my bed

Even the bleeps 
of my vital signs monitor 
sings a different tune 

Heated blankets that would 
wrap me in warmth, 
safety and peace of mind gone

Replaced by invisible, 
intangible warm currents 
beneath a thin sheet

Muted colors splashed 
on the walls and halls with 
blank stares are all that still remains

Along with the memories 
of every surgeon asking me 
to recite my abc’s or 123’s 

Pondering if 
I would wake 
after surgery 




I Made a Necklace for my Mom

Mom taught me so many things as a little girl 
How to make a friendship bracelet 
Different ways to tie my shoes
I learned how to braid my own hair 
Indian braids on either side or a French braid to look fancy

There are so many memories of mom with strings
Embroidered canvas of carefully placed stiches
Cross stich I picked up quickly but never really learned how to sow
A needle and thread were all she needed to craft the world around me
I had stiches long before she taught me any of it though

Childhood stiches made surgically 
From behind the top of my left ear 
A scalpel traced the initial C into my flesh 
Stopping just beneath my chin 
One more small incision – a tracheotomy, a tube to breathe 

The scarred remnants greet me in every mirror
Mother taught me how beautiful stiches could be 
That a needle and thread can do so much to give life meaning
So, I began braiding, and stitching, and twisting, splicing 
How proud my mom would be; 

I made a necklace to place around my neck 
To finish the stiches that were incomplete 





Vanity 

There are memories 
I pull out from my vanity mirror 

Episodes of re-ruins play
inside a music box near by 

I can see my faceless value 
on times treasure map 

The sandman keeps me company 
as we swim the shores in youthful dreams

It happens so quickly –
life between the dash 

Somehow, I had forgotten 
to thank my lungs for breathing 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Michael Lee Johnson

I’m a Riverboat Boy,  Poem on Halsted Street As sure as church bells Sunday morning, ringing on Halsted and State Street, Chicago, these mem...