Sunday, December 13, 2020

Michelle Y Smith

Nana's Heart


Inside soft red velvet

Shiny Sterling Silver

Sparkly and cool to the touch,

A jewelry box 

reminds me of Nana's Heart

No music, 

No jewelry,

Nor an empty find

Memories open of childhood past and love

For our Matriarch

Beautiful teacher, disciplinarian, and kind

Stored up like heaven's treasure

As a little girl

Our days spent together were

Collected in a jar

As if fireflies

And our nights glowed like moonbeams

Imaginary sand flows 

freely from my hands

My yesterday is gone in a flash

All grown up and too old to pretend

My memories sustain me 

And

Remind me of way back then

When the world grows cold

These crown jewels of moments 

Have me captured forever in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Michael Lee Johnson

I’m a Riverboat Boy,  Poem on Halsted Street As sure as church bells Sunday morning, ringing on Halsted and State Street, Chicago, these mem...