Thursday, December 10, 2020

Scott C Kaestner

Moving Day (Because I Told My Wife I’d Reminisce Like This)


Honey, I’m walking around the now

empty condo where not long ago

we brought home our baby girl.


The moving truck is gone and I am

fondly gazing at the front door

remembering that moment

two fools walked blindly

into the ‘fresh meat’

first time parents

abyss.


In our daughter’s old room now

waxing poetic about fumbling 

with diapers, trying to get her

back to sleep, take a nap 

get her in the bath, read 

a story or hide and seek

behind her bed.


One last glance back at the empty

living room, close my eyes, hear

the laughter, the tears, see the sun

shining on us, see our baby becoming a girl.


This spacious ole place in West LA

with the nasty carpet and high ceiling

hosted a new family well and will 

forever be a little piece of us

wherever we call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Michael Lee Johnson

I’m a Riverboat Boy,  Poem on Halsted Street As sure as church bells Sunday morning, ringing on Halsted and State Street, Chicago, these mem...